Sunday, May 21, 2006

Internet Explorer 7

What a load of crap. Use Firefox.

I tried to install IE7, given its promises of tabbed browsing and the like. This worked fine on my laptop, so I thought I'd give it a go on all my PCs. What a fool I feel now.

The installer crashed, not usually the catestrophic failure this one turned out to be. I've no idea what MS have done to create such a mess.

It prompted for a reboot, claiming it needed to restore old files, so, like a fool, I let it restart.

Upon reboot IE just didn't work. It wasn't version 7, 6 or any other. Windows thinks its still installed, won't let me un-install it, claiming it was installed by a different user - and even logging on with Administrator won't let me remove it. What a load of bollocks.

Not only did it kill of IE completely, it also killed Office Outlook 2003 moaning it needed IE4 or higher to work.

DO NOT INSTALL IE7 F YOU FANCY EITHER YOUR SANITY OR A WORKING SYSTEM.

Surprisingly, or not, Microsoft's help doesn't mention what to do with a failed install and how to recover your system. I don't mind testing beta products and don't expect them to be stable. But, if they make a mess of your system it would be nice to have some help on recoving the situation.

If you feel like checking the MS artical on 'recovering IE6 in Windows XP' don't bother. It suggests re-installing SP2. That doesn't work either, as SP2 crashes on reboot and recovers absolutely nothing of use.

The useless system restore feature failed to restore anything useable yet again... has anyone had this thing work? Ever?

Finally, after a lot of web surfing using the, fortunately still working, FireFox you can uninstall it by hacking the registry and adding the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

add a new string value - InstalledByUser
with a value of the account you used to install this pile of crap in the first place.

Close regedit and unstall.

Have a lot of fun. Choose FireFox.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, my son works for MS but this is the last straw. I did MS a favor and tried to load their junk beta version just to have it lock during "finalizing instalation"! I'm completely screwed. Even though I'm 100% registered, Ms uninstall (what a joke) program won't let me complete. I don't think the uninstall works. Has anyone had any luck with this? Its looking like I get to start all over. Thanks again Microsoft! I wish you cared as much about helping bad installs as you did about how well Google was doing. Huuummm,---- Google.

 
At 8:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's a bit late to tell me now!! Thanks a bunch for nothing!
I've installed IE7 and now have lost direct acess to my links bar, and menu bar and probably stuff that I never use but have a right to use even so!

One of you could have warned me in advance even though you don't know who the hell I am!

And some more exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!

I presume the beta version was crap too. :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home